Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott Tim Wescott is offline

Default "Chipping" Metal

On Sat, 14 Apr 2012 16:32:01 -0700, Steve B wrote:

Supposing a guy wanted to put a hidden identifier in a product. Would
it be possible to put something such as a chip they use on a dog or cat
in there? It would have to hold up to some VERY substantial use,
temperatures, vibration, etc. I would imagine those used on cats and
dogs are a synthetic, and those might not last. Or maybe just a
nameplate may have to suffice, as a lot of the parts would be able to be
disassembled. Or a stamped SN.

They're called "chips" because they're a little radio on a silicon chip.

Run of the mill silicon circuits will withstand storage from -40C to +100
or 125C; better ones will go from -55C to +175C. Operating temperatures
will run from 0C to +70C for run-of-the-mill to -40 to +125C for
"automotive" -- there's some high temperature stuff out there, but
probably not RFID chips.

You certainly can't just toss one into the melt when you go to pour a
casting.

http://www.wescottdesign.com