Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B[_13_] Steve B[_13_] is offline

Default "Chipping" Metal

"Ignoramus31455" wrote

What are you trying to accomplish, prove ownership, or have an
automatic inventory system?

Identify ownership. During the 70's Hughes Tool Company (Howard Hughes oil
drill bits) could not be purchased. They were leased. There was NO doubt
EVER about ownership. Hughes owned it, and they never sold it, only leased
it. A bit had to be accompanied with proper lease papers, or it was
considered stolen property, and recoverable by any Hughes agent, LEO, or
just a savvy oilfield worker who could take it to Hughes and get a bounty.
NOBODY EVER owned one. There was no question.

I am investigating this for my equipment. Of course, I would have to have
an enforcer and collector, but I think it would be worth it. I just don't
really think in my heart of hearts that a chip idea would work.

Steve