Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk Leon Fisk is offline

Default Beginning of 2012 shatters records for heat

On Mon, 09 Apr 2012 14:42:11 -0500
Karl Townsend wrote:

The other shoe is falling in the upper Midwest tonight. There will be
a hard freeze taking out the bloom on many perennial plants such as
apples etc.

snip

Not sure about MI.

Hi Karl,

It has been ugly here. Traverse City area took a bad hit recently,
wiping out much of the cherry and grape crops. Asparagus (of all things)
is way early and the growers pickers are still down south. Haven't
heard any recent updates concerning the latter so I don't know if they
found a way to harvest or not. Oh, almost forgot, no bees either. The
ones rented/used for pollination are still stuck in either FL or CA.
Seems it is next to impossible to expedite them.

What I thought you would find most interesting though are my local
apple growers. The temps have been dipping down in the freezing area
pretty regular. The Ridge growers have been fighting back. Burning
hay/straw bales, propane heaters, irrigation, HUGE fan/blowers and even
helicopters trying to push warmer air down to the ground.

A few of the Press articles, no particular order:

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapi...hire_heli.html

http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/...rt_cherry.html

http://www.mlive.com/newsflash/index...f5d014b3713217

http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/...ts-newest.html

http://www.mlive.com/golf/saginawnew...c66fe4c57968df

Best wishes, I hope your luck with all this holds.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b