Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Stanley Schaefer Stanley Schaefer is offline

Default Honing Aluminum Tube

On Apr 13, 10:08*am, Bob La Londe wrote:
I need to put a smooth finish on the inside of some aluminum tube. *1"
ID smallest - 2" ID biggest. *Same application different sizes. *If it
was steel or cast iron I would just run a brake hone or cylinder hone
down it, but I think the stones would just pack up with aluminum if I
tried that with this. *It doesn't need to be precise, just smooth. *I
want to round off the weld seam (not to bad to begin with) and make it
fairly shiny inside. *Flap wheels? *Buffing wheel with a "course"
substitute for rouge? *Other?

If you've got a ridge, I'd either do ball sizing or get a helical
reamer to get rid of it. If you need to improve the surface finish,
ream a little larger, then use a lead lap on it. You need a lap
surface softer than the metal you're trying to lap. And like the
other guy said, I've not seen aluminum tubing with weld seams, all
I've seen has been extruded. If you could get that sort of thing in
the sizes you need, you'd be ahead of the game.

Stan