Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Shear strength of screws

On Fri, 13 Apr 2012 08:25:54 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 4/13/2012 7:58 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 4/13/2012 7:22 AM, Leon wrote:
On 4/12/2012 12:40 PM, wrote:

But in MY opinion, a house plumbed with copper just looks so much
NEATER, and more professional than the "spiderwebs" of PEX that I see
in a lot of new houses. Nothing requires PEX to be run in straight
lines with neat 90 degree bends - so the "cheap" plumber just runs the
crap in the shortest, easiest route, looks be damned.

I prefer the advantages of how PEX is usually installed over the looks
of copper how copper is typically installed.

In south Texas we ocassionally get a harsh winter. Pipes freeze, copper
pipes seem to be the first to burst.

PEX expands and is less likely to break and in my case comes with a 10
year warranty.
Additionally PEX is normally run through a mainfold. The previous winter
I was able to shut off water to the out side hose bibs from the manifold
and open the bibs to drain the water before the freeze. I had running
water for all of the i other nterior faucets.

Leon, Bubba ... you mean you haven't yet figured out that we live in a
shallow thinking culture that prizes "looks" over increased
functionality and efficiency ... in a farking dark ATTIC?

Hell I was thinking inside closed WALLS.

AAMOF, unless someone spends a lot of their warm fuzzy navel gazing time
in the attic, who gives a flying **** what a PEX homerun installation
looks like as long as it's effective, equally functional, less
expensive, and with more options for the convenience of zone plumbing,
at less cost?

Around here the plumbing is in the BASEMENT. I know much of the USA
hasn't got a clue what a basement is. Crawl-space or cellar, perhaps -
but not an actual useable basement.

For some one that does not like to look at a PEX installation there must
be some kind of filtering eye wear to cancel out the presence and
appearance of the wiring!

That said, I've yet to see one of my plumbing contractors do the kind of
work with PEX I have seen decried here ... quality supervision and
_ethical contractors_ must obviously be in damned short supply
elsewhere, eh?

Yeah, I was really kinda impressed seeing the red and blue, sorry, PEX
pipes running every where.