Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Honing Aluminum Tube

On Fri, 13 Apr 2012 09:08:59 -0700 (PDT), Bob La Londe
wrote:

I need to put a smooth finish on the inside of some aluminum tube. 1"
ID smallest - 2" ID biggest. Same application different sizes. If it
was steel or cast iron I would just run a brake hone or cylinder hone
down it, but I think the stones would just pack up with aluminum if I
tried that with this. It doesn't need to be precise, just smooth. I
want to round off the weld seam (not to bad to begin with) and make it
fairly shiny inside. Flap wheels? Buffing wheel with a "course"
substitute for rouge? Other?

You have a lot of variables and compromises in there, which I'll leave
to others to deal with. I haven't done what you're trying to do.

But this is a good excuse to bring up a related article that may be of
some use to other aluminum honers, especially anyone working on model
engines. These capital-heavy industrial methods may not be directly
applicable but it should be a help to see what industrial users are
dealing with when they hone hyper-eutectic aluminum:

http://www.sunnen.com/newsdetails.aspx?newsid=11

Here's more good stuff on honing aluminum from Sunnen:

http://db1.spiderline.com/exec/searc...minum&a=100810

--
Ed Huntress