Mary Fisher

Default Recycling - how do others cope?

It's not really much easier than taking it to the supermarket each week,
except they take car batteries, oil and old clothes as well.

We have very few cans and packets to put in our green recycle bin (emptied
once a month and rarely full even though I pick up cans and plastic bottles
from the street), the brown bin is emptied weekly and has even less in it)
because we don't buy pre-proecessed foods.

That's one answer to the problem.

Another is that empty cans and packets don't take up any more room than full
ones, if space can be found for the full ones why not the empty ones?

But of course cans are easy to flatten and then they take up a very small
amount of room. The same applies to packets. Paper is flat to start with.

Glass bottles aren't of course, we use a crate outside the door and take
them to the bottle bank when passing (the council doesn't take them).

Vegetable waste goes in the compost bin.

I don't see that collecting waste for re-cycling is a problem and I applaud
all authorites who do it - and those conscientious citizens who comply with
the collection schemes.

Mary

--
Chris