Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 120 V starters for fluorescent lights

In article ,
Martin Brown writes:
On 12/04/2012 23:43, NT wrote:
On Apr 12, 9:02 pm, Martin
wrote:
On 12/04/2012 19:20, Andrew Mawson wrote:

"Adam Funk" wrote in ...

I have a couple of fluorescent light fittings in the house, each
containing two fairly standard tubes and two 120 volt starters. I
know the starters need to be 120 volt ones because I discovered a few
years ago that 240 volt ones won't start the lights.

I think I need some new starters again, but every electrical&
lighting shop I've tried so far doesn't have them, and a quick WWW
search only shows them in the USA (where they are obviously useful).

Are double-tube fittings wired this way obsolete now?

I needed some 120v ones recently (for a fly killer that uses two uv
tubes in series) and found some on ebay fairly easily.

Have you been able to find a supplier of the the old style magnetic
chokes these things seem to use? I have two dead fly killers where the
fluoros 2x 110vac magnetic ballast has burned out. The only place I
could find online advertising them did not in fact have any stock

If you tell us the tube specs, the problem should be solvable.

Its odd to have 2x 110v ballasts, 1x 240v one for the pair is more
normal.

Sorry to mislead that was from memory. The dead units are sat in the
garage. It is on checking it is a single choke driving two 18" 15W tubes
in series each with their own starter. The choke is marked Yongxin Dy-30
220-240 50Hz 2x15W 18" tubes and they are absolute crap.

Two flykillers failed about a month after their warrantee ran out in
exactly the same way - the choke is now open circuit. The HT zapper
still works fine but the flies don't visit without the blue light lure.

Twin tube 18W/24" single ballast is one of the most commonly used
commercially, and starters used in these will be easily available
from any electrical wholesaler, or a good retail lighting store.
These are normally rated for 4-22W, but using starters as you go
lower down that power range becomes more wearing on the tubes,
and you will get short tube life, particularly if switched on/off
frequently. You might want to consider completely removing the
starters and ballast and replace with electronic control gear
suitable for those tubes.

Meanwhile, you could replace the tubes with a piece of raw chicken,
and you'll probably find the zapper is 10 times more effective than
it used to be...

--
Andrew Gabriel