Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Shear strength of screws

On Thu, 12 Apr 2012 14:31:42 -0500, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 4/12/12 2:12 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
wrote:

But in MY opinion, a house plumbed with copper just looks so much
NEATER, and more professional than the "spiderwebs" of PEX that I see
in a lot of new houses. Nothing requires PEX to be run in straight
lines with neat 90 degree bends - so the "cheap" plumber just runs the
crap in the shortest, easiest route, looks be damned.

That's my biggest complaint with PEX - which admitedly, has nothing to do
with the product, but has everything to do with the installation. Installed
professionaly, it can look and perform as well as copper or CPVC, but it
seems the stuff is just plopped in place and it looks like hell.

I would rank it higher given the claims to be impervious to freeze burst.
I'm also in love with these gator/shark/etc. connectors and valves.

While remodeling the bathrooms, I planned to keep a working vanity sink
while it's all going on. Those gator valves and a rubber P-trap
connected with a hose clamp allow me to move the vanity in and out in
about 3 minutes. I leave the P-trap connected to the wall waste and it
maintains the trap water to keep out the stink.

I sure hope you get rid of the rubber trap when you do the final
install. I use sharkbites on copper in locations where soldering
would be difficult/dangerous/impossible or where I can see having to
disconnect them sometime in the possibly forseable future. I wouldn't
use them as standard practice in place of a soldered joint on copper,
or a clamped joint on PEX.