Posted to uk.d-i-y
NT[_2_] NT[_2_] is offline

Default 120 V starters for fluorescent lights

On Apr 12, 9:02*pm, Martin Brown
wrote:
On 12/04/2012 19:20, Andrew Mawson wrote:

"Adam Funk" wrote in ...

I have a couple of fluorescent light fittings in the house, each
containing two fairly standard tubes and two 120 volt starters. I
know the starters need to be 120 volt ones because I discovered a few
years ago that 240 volt ones won't start the lights.

I think I need some new starters again, but every electrical &
lighting shop I've tried so far doesn't have them, and a quick WWW
search only shows them in the USA (where they are obviously useful).

Are double-tube fittings wired this way obsolete now?

I needed some 120v ones recently (for a fly killer that uses two uv
tubes in series) and found some on ebay fairly easily.

Have you been able to find a supplier of the the old style magnetic
chokes these things seem to use? I have two dead fly killers where the
fluoros 2x 110vac magnetic ballast has burned out. The only place I
could find online advertising them did not in fact have any stock

If you tell us the tube specs, the problem should be solvable.

Its odd to have 2x 110v ballasts, 1x 240v one for the pair is more
normal.

NT