Posted to rec.woodworking

Default sizing home jointers and planers?

On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 18:46:49 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 4/11/2012 4:18 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
Snip

IMHO on one wanted to start "the change" Yes cost would have been more
but absolutely not prohibitively expensive... Saw Stop is not having an
issue with actually going from an idea to a start up company and selling
thousands.

Compared to the other selling hundreds of thousands annually, that's a
small number. And the price of the saws SS sells is waaay up there.

You have data to back that up??? I know for a fact that Delta is only
in the hundreds of Unisaws in the last couple of years.

Had you read any of the info on the case, you would have seen it
listed numerous times. Delta, one look at the bloody price they
ask and you'll be able to guess why the sales numbers are slim.
I don't recall which document I read that gave those numbers, but it
was one of the legal papers. Looking online, I see that recalls give
you some interesting numbers.
Ryobo 21.5k, Ridgid 3k, DeWalt 13k, and those are only recalls of
individual models, not the total sales. The numbers are BIG.

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml11/11066.html
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml09/09311.html
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml08/08259.html

Here ya go: Skil 120,000 http://tinyurl.com/89elgk2

Now go wash your mind out with soap for not believing me. snort

Obviously the competition guessed and gambled wrong. They turned down
the opportunity to be the first and to be in the position that Saw Stop
is in today.

Did the guys at SawStop proceed in a way that ****ed a few people off?
Absoluteness! It ****es me off that the other manufacturers did not
want us to see this happen by not even giving it a try. But I'll get
over it, life is too short to worry about how Delta, or Jet, or
Powermatic are going to make out should this standard be mandated. they
had their chance and watched it go by.

Did you just make that up?g See if you can prove that the mfgrs
didn't want us to see this happen.

No, that is just common sense. Had the manufacturers thought it would
have sold they would have been making them today. They chose not to let
us have the opportunity.

PROVE IT! Don't just guess it. (See how it feels, turkey?)

The cost of seatbelts or gas is extremely small compared to the cost
of the car. The added safety was felt to be worth it by both the
gov't and most of the people, so it was instituted.

How do you figure, go to a dealership and order a seat belt and tell me
if you think a seat belt is small in price...

AND besides what does cost have to do with your way of thinking. I have
the idea that you will reject the SawStop if it were required and was
only $50 more expensive.

Not true. But I'd sure hate to pay it to Gass, now that I've seen a
tiny bit of his playbook.

I can only imagine the discussions that would have been had when the
regular guard was mandated. Surely that increased the price of every
saw, way back when, when most people did not have an extra dollar or two
to spend each month. It knocked plenty out of the market for a new saw.

A few bucks for a guard vs. a few HUNDRED for a safety mechanism.
That's not -quite- on the same level, is it?

You totally missed the point. I cannot explain it any simpler.

No, you missed it, Leon. A guard adds little to the overall price. A
SS could -triple- the cost of an inexpensive saw. A few bucks can be
saved up for, but triple the cost takes the things right out of the
realm of -possibility- for poor people. People who need things saved
for them, both then and now.

Actually yes it is on the same level. When the current regular guard
was mandated most using these saws did not have a dollar or two to
spare. It is all relative. Gas and vehicles are about 20 times more
expensive than 40 years ago, those guards go back farther. Now lets
take a $300 Saw Stop option and divide that by 20 and I get $15, all
things being relative..

I paid $119 for my refurb Ryobi saw. A $300 option would have put it
up to about $600 retail. Lots of people buy the cheap 10" saws, Leon.
Not everyone can afford $4k for a SS or Unisaw. Check your reference
levels.

Apples new saws, Oranges, refurbished saws.

New they're $150-200. Apples to apples. Jesus, buy a clue, dude!

Now change that to a new saw and adjust prices 50 years ago to todays
prices or visa versa.

See my points above.

We in this day and age are not unique from earlier decades, we still
have things we oppose but we do still have a choice to buy or not to
buy, just as they did then. My grand father himself built several
homes for his family, my mother and her two daughters, and a couple of
sisters, and sister in-laws. According to my mother, in the mid 40's,
power tools were still not in the budget to build the last that he built.

This is no different.

Bull! There was no regulation back then like the one which threatens
us now, thanks to SS.

None that "you" know of, do some research.

Do you know of specific regs back then? If so, let me know. There
weren't many. The nanny state came up way later. We grew up in it.

Ummm the guard was not an option.

Neither was an electric table saw, for most people. There might have
been one per large construction company back then. Homeowners didn't
get them until the late fifties/early sixties, I believe.

Does Ralph Nader ring a bell?

I guarantee he wasn't ruining Corvairs or contractor lives in the
'40s.

What ever!

Let no man imagine that he has no influence. Whoever he may be, and
wherever he may be placed, the man who thinks becomes a light and a power.
-- Henry George