Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Default sizing home jointers and planers?

"Mike Marlow" wrote in
:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 21:10:55 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

19.9 was "quite common" in the early 70's in Corpus Christi. I
remember filling up my car for $2.

Ditto my 21.3 cents/gal in Phoenix in '72, my first time away from
home. I'd fill up the old '68 Ford Ranch Wagon for under $3. I paid
$80 the other day for a Tundra fillup. gack

I started driving (legally...) in '69 and was paying just under $0.25
per gallon in Albany, NY. I remember us all complaining when it hit
$0.25 - and then went all the way up to $0.30. Then of course, came
the Oil Embargo and the unbelievable happened, as gas hit $1.00 per
gallon. Shoulda heard us scream then! Wanna see a grown man cry?
Join me the next time I have to fill up my Silverado.

Come on, guys. Quit your bellyaching. Gas is $10/gal in EUrope, and
they still drive big cars on the Autobahn and Autostrada.

While the current high prices in the US are an aberration, inflation has
made 1 USD in 1970 worth over $6 in 2012. Add in the extra taxes that (I
believe) were levied on gasoline since, and you'll get very close to at
least $2 to $2.50. And as the oil crisis of the 70s showed, supply and
demand can out-duel sense anytime. You $0.15 cup of coffee of the early
70s (which was refilled at will), now costs a bit more too.

--
Best regards
Han