Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default 38 year old freezer efficiency?

"notbob" wrote in message
On 2012-04-10, Doug wrote:

On a side note, things that I was once told were to last so many
years, more recently I'm told those same things last perhaps half (or
less) as long nowadays.... ie: washing machines, hot water heaters,
refrigs come to mind. That's sad in my opinion.

Three things have rendered reliability out: planned obsolescence,
bottom-line cheapness, disposability. It jes doesn't pay to make a
long lasting quality product or repair products than be purchased new
for less. No incentive for the user to purchase a new one. Seen any
TV/radio repair shops, lately?

On the flip side, I was always amazed how easily PC's could be repaired - at
least in the beginning. No video? Swap out a board! It's all a trade off.
I agree with you. People won't pay what it's worth in time to have
something diagnosed and repaired when that cost is perhaps half to
three-quarters the price of a newer (and often better) model. I gave up
fixing PC's for friends for that reason. They're grateful right after you
restore megabytes of precious data - but not for very long after that. )-:
Sort of "I know you saved my life last week, but what have you done for me
lately?"

--
Bobby G.