Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default 38 year old freezer efficiency?

"Doug" wrote in message

Can I use a voltmeter with probes to measure what the refrig uses? Do
I just measure the 2 sides of the refrig's electrical plug? Or how do
you do this measurement?

No. You need a "tong" meter and a special cord that isolates the hot from
the neutral to measure only instantaneous current. Or a special cord that
lets you put an ammeter in series with the unit. Most pocket meters can't
handle that sort of current, anyway. Look on your meter, if it reads amps,
it should say 10 or 20A max on the jacks. That's why the Kill-a-watt is so
useful. None of that is required. Plus, even the cheapest ones can read
power use over time in kWh which no common multimeter I know does. The more
expensive units have memories and cost computers built in, but unless you
have lots of power blinks or outages, that's overkill, IMHO.

--
Bobby G.