Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default 38 year old freezer efficiency?

"notbob" wrote in message

stuff snipped

Will you actually save money by purchasing new? My mom's last new
refrigerator lasted only 5 yrs before dying an unrepairable death.
That's jes about the time she would have started realizing some cost
savings, but then had to buy a new one. Her current one, about 5 yrs
old, jes blew a fan motor. Repairs cost over $200. Of her two chest
freezers, both less than 10 yrs old, one jes died. The other got
eaten by a bear (no kidding!).

Thanks for reminding me. A lot of people have said their new units have
needed replacement or repairs very early on in their life cycle. That, of
course, could alter the payback stats. The old A/C ran, uncovered in the
window all year long, for 17 years. The fridge for over 30. I suspect
their replacements, with the use of far more plastic parts, won't last
nearly as long.

It's a lot easier to make the decision to replace when the old ones fail. A
lot of the efficiency of new units comes from better insulation. I'd get a
Kil-a-watt and see if insulating the outside of the freezer saved any money.
It took 22 years for my Honda to reach the "can't repair it anymore" point.

--
Bobby G.