Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug[_14_] Doug[_14_] is offline

Default 38 year old freezer efficiency?

On 2012-04-10, Art Todesco wrote:

years ago. It is a little noisy, but it's been that way for 38 year,
except now it is in a place were I can hear it more.

I wouldn't trust energy stats, specially those provided by
manufacturers. Ask your energy company for a real world cost
break-down. Also, yer current freezer has lasted for 38 yrs. I, too,
had a 30+ yr old refrigerator and 25+ yr old wshr/dryr set. They made
'em to last, didn't they!

Will you actually save money by purchasing new? My mom's last new
refrigerator lasted only 5 yrs before dying an unrepairable death.
That's jes about the time she would have started realizing some cost
savings, but then had to buy a new one. Her current one, about 5 yrs
old, jes blew a fan motor. Repairs cost over $200. Of her two chest
freezers, both less than 10 yrs old, one jes died. The other got
eaten by a bear (no kidding!).

Me? I'd stick with something that works.

me

My thoughts too. As you pointed out, the true cost of operation is
more than just the electrical useage. Personally I think I'd run the
38 year old freezer till it needed a repair and then consider saving
what that repair costs and putting it toward the new unit. That's
not to say the new unit will last as long but repairing (assuming the
parts are still available) a 38 year old unit may be a first sign of
more to come.

On a side note, things that I was once told were to last so many
years, more recently I'm told those same things last perhaps half (or
less) as long nowadays.... ie: washing machines, hot water heaters,
refrigs come to mind. That's sad in my opinion.