Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Jack is offline

Default sizing home jointers and planers?

On 4/10/2012 12:43 PM, Dave wrote:
On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 12:10:15 -0400, wrote:
that same board should cost $1.39 in 2010, the last year they had, so
it's even better than that. And yes, the quality of the wood is the
same or better than what I got in 1978.

That's garbage Jack and you know it. The cheap wood in 1978 was
essentially straight grained and mostly knot free.

You are a lying sack of ****.

How's that?

I don't lie, ever, period. The lumber at my HD is as good or better
than the same grade lumber sold around here in 1970's. The prices I
looked up, I didn't guess. I guess you need to take my word on the
quality, but trust me, I have no reason to lie, and wouldn't if I did.

The cheap crap
you're comparing to these days is full of knots and you can't find
straight grain if your life depended on it. *That's* what I mean when
I mention quality.

I mentioned #2 grade, which has small knots. I always had to look
through the wood stacks when I bought lumber, just as I do now. Then,
as now, they always manage to get some really good stuff, and some
really bad stuff mixed in the stacks of lumber, regardless of the
grading. HD does not sell #1 select, and I never, or almost never
bought that anyway, it is rare to find, and commercial furniture
builders scoop most of it up, so it was always expensive, and only
carried at large or specialty lumber yards.

And, your example of Home Depot also falls short. Board width has
diminished at HD.

That's garbage Dave, as long as I've been buying wood, the width of
lumber has been the same. A 2x6 is 5.5 inches, same as it was then. A
1x8 is 7 1/4, same as it was then. You don't know what your talking
about, or your HD is ripping you off.

Doesn't matter how much you're willing to pay for
it. If you wanted to make a table out of hardwood with HD wood, you'd
be joining a larger number of pieces of hard wood. I can remember 8"
hard wood availability at HD. You can't find it now because it costs
too damned much and isn't a customer demanded product because of that
high cost.

Yes, super expensive at HD, but they only sell top quality Oak at my HD.
I know they have 1x6, not sure about 1x8. You shouldn't use bigger than
1x6 for table top glue ups anyway, unless it's quarter sawn, which
nobody can afford, unless you are a Texan:-)

I used to buy hard wood oak veneered plywood at Home Depot. I stopped
doing that four or five years ago because I realized the veneered
plywood they were stocking had a thinner veneered oak layer on it. So
thin in fact, that you have to be extra careful you don't sand through
it. It effect, it's cheap and not worth the money being asked for it.
Slice it up anyway you want, HD exists on the cheap end of the
spectrum and has always done so. Just, that they do it even more now.

Well yeah, HD is not selling Festool stuff. But at *my* HD they sell
high quality OAK, and they sell very good #2 white wood (pine). I never
bought oak veneer ply from them, but my guess is it is the same or
better than I would get at Allegheny Plywood, a plywood place I used to
by oak veneered ply when I was doing that stuff. They had some crappy
stuff there then, probably same as now, but haven't bought any recently.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com