Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default sizing home jointers and planers?

On 4/10/2012 11:45 AM, Jack wrote:
On 4/10/2012 11:07 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 4/10/2012 9:14 AM, Jack wrote:
On 4/9/2012 11:27 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 4/9/2012 9:14 AM, tiredofspam wrote:
Ryobi had been owned by John Deere during the 90s. John Deere stripped
the company of all quality, then sold the business. I had known
someone
who worked for Ryobi back then. The complaint I heard from him was how
JD was just destroying the quality, and making them a useless brand.

MBAthink ... ramped up during WWII, took hold in the sixties, perverted
since to the ridiculous extreme of
bottom-line-fixation-damn-all-else-****-the-consumer-while-I-get-mine
mentality.

The same "MBAthink" that builds Ryobi, B&D, Grizzly etc also build
Laguna, Northfield, Festool etc. The consumer drives the markets, not
the MBA's you speak of.Lots of people are willing to spend 80 bucks on
a shop vac, very few will spend $550 for one. "MBAthink" says if I can
sell 10 million Festool vacs and make a ton of money, I'll do it. They
can't, so they don't. I'd say that is common sense, not MBA think but
it's not even common sense, it's how it is, or you go out of business.

I can buy a Ryobi planer, a Grizz planer, or a Northfield planer. It's
up to me, and all the MBAthinkers do is make the choices possible.

Bull****!

You telling me I can't buy these tools?

Jack, my friend, you miss the point, and concept expressed in the term,
entirely.

No, didn't miss anything. In fact, I totally understand what you are
trying to say, and have the same beefs myself when not thinking clearly.

Instead of continuing the innovation and engineering that built
_quality_ into a previously respected brand/product, the name of the
game, as played by the current "Ryobi" and MBAthink ilk, is:

~ Acquisition_ of a trusted _brand name_ previously known for innovation
and quality engineering.

~ Negating any previous "build quality" in the product by rigorous
_price point engineering_ .

~ Manufacturing same as cheaply as possible by use of cheap materials,
low cost, unskilled labor

~ Marketing, thru clever, deceptive advertising, to dupes, suckers, and
the ignorant unsuspecting, by relying solely upon the previous
reputation of the brand, and for whatever the market will bear.

All above, basic tenets of "MBAthink" as expressed. (IOW, you do not
have to have any knowledge whatsoever of a product in order to
successfully market it by simply buying the name and making it cheap ...
AKA "**** the quality, it's our bottom line, stupid" ... and we see what
kind of crap that has served up)

Sorry, but all markets are filled. Larry can buy his cheap stuff, I can
buy my mediocre stuff, and you and Leon can buy your overpriced, I mean,
top quality stuff. The largest market is the cheap stuff, so that is
what abounds, the smallest market is the high priced stuff, so it
doesn't abound. It's as simple as that.

Well since you have mention me I will make a comment. Until you have
actually purchased and used all levels of and including quality tools
and equipment you will never ever understand how higher quality is the
better choice every time. You may now put your head back in the sand.