Posted to rec.woodworking

Default sizing home jointers and planers?

On Mon, 09 Apr 2012 16:44:30 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 4/9/2012 2:12 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Mon, 09 Apr 2012 12:24:04 -0500, Leonlcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 4/9/2012 11:41 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Mon, 09 Apr 2012 10:27:22 -0500, wrote:

On 4/9/2012 9:14 AM, tiredofspam wrote:
Ryobi had been owned by John Deere during the 90s. John Deere stripped
the company of all quality, then sold the business. I had known someone
who worked for Ryobi back then. The complaint I heard from him was how
JD was just destroying the quality, and making them a useless brand.

MBAthink ... ramped up during WWII, took hold in the sixties, perverted
since to the ridiculous extreme of
bottom-line-fixation-damn-all-else-****-the-consumer-while-I-get-mine
mentality.

I've owned several Ryobi tools over the years and have always had good
luck with them. The nicads didn't last quite as long as I'd like, but
that's common to pricy tools, too.

I also have the BTS-10 portable table saw. It's gutless enough to
prevent dangerous kickbacks, a plus in my book.g

You reallllly don't believe that do you???

I most certainly do. I've stalled it when a piece of ply slipped as I
fed it through. It didn't have the guts to kick it back. On smaller
items, though, I'd be less cavalier.

You apparently don't know what kick back is. I have had kick back with
1 hp saws that stalled easily. Stalling a blade is not anywhere near
kick back.

Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa. I bow to your (half?) vast
storehouse of knowledge, sir. I've had only one kicked-back piece
stick into the door in my mere minutes as a woodworker. sigh

--
Resolve to be thyself: and know, that he who finds himself, loses his misery.
-- Matthew Arnold