Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default sizing home jointers and planers?

On 4/7/2012 2:08 AM, wrote:
I've been looking at jointers and planers for a home shop. It seems that all of the commercially available jointers are 6" and the planers are about 12". What's the point in having a planer twice as large?

I must be missing something obvious... help a rookie out?

Thanks!

And oddly I have no jointer and a 15" planer. I did have a jointer and
never used it.

Anyway, to answer your question. A jointer helps to initially true up
one side and one edge of a board. Call it 6 inches wide. Now glue up
that board to another of the same size, you need twice the capacity.

The sizes you mentioned are common sizes but certainly not the only
sizes. For a stationary jointer the 6" is pretty much entry level in
size and 12" for a planer is pretty small with 13"~15" being the norm.

And for what it is worth the combination jointer/planer is beginning to
be more common place. It is typically less expensive than buying a
stationary jointer and stationary planer and takes up half the room.

http://www.amazon.com/JET-JJP-12-12-...889764&sr=8-25