Posted to rec.woodworking
Pete S Pete S is offline

Default sizing home jointers and planers?

I think there are a lot of people who buy their lumber S2S or better at a
store and then work with those boards. Assuming that you select only the
good straight stock before you plunk down the big bucks, you already have
"jointed" and planed stock.
If that is the case for you, then you could expect that the board is pretty
flat and not twisted. Then you don't need a wide jointer. But you would
still need a wider planer if reducing the thickness of an already good board
for some particular purpose.

On the other hand, if you work with a lot of rough sawn lumber, as I do,
you are working with twisted, cupped and bowed stuff real often. I could
really use a jointer wider than my 6 inch in this case. But come people
have told me that, even then,
they simply cut boards down to fit the jointer and glue up for wider stock.

Pete Stanaitis