Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default proper ratchet screwdriver

Geoff Pearson wrote
Brian Gaff wrote

Is it still possible buy a proper ratchet screwdriver that doesn't
have interchangeable tips and a handle that rips skin after the
third screw? I don't want a powered tool either. I can see some
antiques on eBay but nothing new even from a junk maker like Draper.

What is wrong with interchangable bits?

They fall out and get lost

Easily fixed by supergluing the bit you want into the driver.

and you can never get the same turning force on them.

You can get much more actually with the better designed ones that
allow you to put a spanner on the non round shaft if you need to.

When the right antique turns up on eBay, I will buy it.

It is much easier to work on old things, like houses and
furniture, with the tools that made them in the first place

Dont agree with that when you can use proper modern
impact drivers that werent even available then.

(accepting that ratchets are only 75 years old).