Posted to rec.woodworking
Michael Joel[_2_] Michael Joel[_2_] is offline

Default Off Topic: Compressors and Computers

Lee Michaels wrote:
I had a computer go down last week. Turns out that the power supply was
clogged with dust and needed to be replaced. It was probably under
powered too, which added to its demise. Talking to some friends, this
has happened to two more people in the last 3 months. All of them multi
monitor machines running some big apps. Regular computers did not seem
to suffer from the same type of problem.

Just my suggestions - been a while since I worked on systems but....

Multiple monitors and heavy apps shouldn't effect the power supply to
much since it will still only draw what it is built to draw. Being
underpowered (as I recall ) will not damage the system but will cause
malfunctioning from components not getting enough power.

I think the key here is the clogged power supply. If it can't cool
itself then it will be toast pretty fast. Just the same with all other
components - the heat is going to be the biggest problem. All the
components produce heat a layer of dust is like a blanket to help hold
it in.

I think cleaning every 6 to 12 months should be fine. Hard apps and more
monitors do not mean more dust sucking up into the computer. I don't
know how your computers are placed but on the floor are a bad idea they
will collect dust much faster. Better to have them in a cabinet.

Are the office staff normally allowed to open the computers up?

--

Michael Joel

For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes,
His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen,
being understood through what has been made,
so that they are without excuse. For even though they knew God,
they did not honor Him as God, or give thanks; but they became
futile in their speculations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
- Romans 1:20-21 (NASB)

parksfamily2 ------ ---- --- gmail ----- ----- com
replace dashes with correct symbols