Posted to rec.woodworking
Scott Lurndal Scott Lurndal is offline

Default Off Topic: Compressors and Computers

Steve Turner writes:
On 4/3/2012 2:36 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
"Lee Michaels"leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net writes:

I could probably get by with a can of compressed air.

Indeed. If your computer is in an environment where blowing it out
more than every 6 months is necessary, move the computer or clean up
the environment.

Compressor is way overkill.

Disagree.

I've worked in the industry for 30 years, building everything from mainframes
to supercomputers. The only time we ever used an air compressor was to power
the loadable heads on a Burroughs 5N head-per-track disk drive built in the
1970's (and of course on the manufacturing floor to power various tools,
such as torque wrenches, drills and various place-and-route machines in
the wire-wrap era).

My last company had over 400 dual-socket 1U/2U servers, and about 100 workstation
systems (high-end, dual-head) - canned compressed air was sufficient for those as well,
albeit only required once every couple of years.

scott