Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Off Topic: Compressors and Computers

On 4/3/2012 1:19 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:
I had a computer go down last week. Turns out that the power supply was
clogged with dust and needed to be replaced. It was probably under
powered too, which added to its demise. Talking to some friends, this
has happened to two more people in the last 3 months. All of them multi
monitor machines running some big apps. Regular computers did not seem
to suffer from the same type of problem.

The tech suggested regular cleaning of the interior of the case every
two months. Again, this is probably overkill for most machines, but we
have three examples here of where we probably could have prevented the
problems we had. He suggested a small compressor for this purpose. He
had one in his shop. I have no problem with getting a small compressor
to make my computers happy. It is just that my beloved and other folks
working in the offices would have extreme objections to a noisy, pancake
compressor starting up.

I could probably get by with a can of compressed air. I have a small
vacuum cleaner which will do an OK job cleaning. But I need some
compressed air to get everything really clean. I need something small,
quiet and not scary to tool phobic office workers (or wives). Any
suggestions?

I was thinking of the baby compressors that run artist's air brushes.
But did not think they were powerful enough. Maybe even a fireplace
bellows may work. I looked at a small compressor from Harbor Freight and
was assured that it was very noisy. So that won't work. Maybe I am
asking too much, inexpensive, quiet and effective. Any input from you
guys would be appreciated.

Take the computer to the compressor.