Edwin Pawlowski

Default Baldor vs. Leeson, Unisaw replacment motors.

"David Eisan" wrote in message

One funny tidbit is that the 3hp Baldor weighs in at 74lbs and the 3hp
Leeson weighs in at 51lbs. Even the 4hp Leeson at 62lbs does not weigh as
much as the 3hp Baldor.

Does anyone know why one weighs so much more than the other?

Any general comments about Baldor vs. Leeson?

Has anyone used the Baldor Unisaw motor?

We have both at work, All of the new motors are lighter and less reliable
than the old motors. The new ones are more energy efficient though. I'd
give Baldor a slight edge in reliability.

Mass Electric gave us a bunch of money to replace all our old inefficient
motors. When the new ones burned up, we'd slip the old ones back in until
the new more efficient motor is repaired. These are in the 15 HP to 75 HP
range. The old ones have been running for about 20 years, the new ones
started to die in one year. The new ones have lighter housing and probably
lighter winding, but I'm not a motor expert.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome