Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Need a combination square

On Sun, 01 Apr 2012 20:40:41 -0400, Bill wrote:

CW wrote:

"Scott Lurndal" wrote in message
.. .

"Mike Marlow" writes:
Doug Miller wrote:

The difference is that the Starrett square is guaranteed to be
straight and square within, I believe, +/- 0.006" over the length of
the 12" blade -- and the six-dollar cheapie isn't.

As long as it is never dropped, banged, or

Agreed.

subject to the normal useage.

So why would you state this? Normal usage is what the damn thing
is designed for, and the Starretts hold up incredibly well. I have
a Starret 4-piece with both 12" and 24" blade, and find it both incredibly
accurate and very useful (and it was free).
I have a Mititoyo combo square that I bought in 1986. It looks its age
but is in fine shape. It has never been dropped. Neither have my
micrometers, calipers, indicators, etc.

I was at an auction yesterday, and the auctioneer just *threw* a
micrometer on the table along with a bunch of other stuff like it was a

Did anyone say anything to the idiot?

wrench. I didn't bid--and I wouldn't mind having a micrometer.

I equate auctioneers with used car salesmen. No brains and lots of
cheat. A pox on both their houses.

--
Life is an escalator:
You can move forward or backward;