Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default OT - New thread on Florida shooting

"HeyBub" wrote:

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote:
-snip-

Hmm. Thirty-one states have some form of Stand Your Ground (SYG)
laws.

Check your math-- or your source. This map only shows 18.
http://www.adn.com/2012/03/26/239250...spotlight.html

If you've got another map or chart, I'd love to see it.

I may have misspoked.
"As of 28 May 2010 (2010 -05-28, 31 states had some form of Castle Doctrine
or Stand Your Ground law."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stand-your-ground_law

There is a world of difference between SYG & Castle Doctrine. I
don't know why they'd lump them together. Shame on wiki for that
one, even though they explain the difference in the text that nobody
reads.

Are
you saying that over 60% of the population passed a law with no
reason behind it? Or is it possible you simply do not understand
what three out of five do?

And just a WAG, I doubt those states represent 15% of the population.
[and how many of them are, like FL, second guessing themselves this
week]

The most and third-most populated states (California & New York) do not have
a SYG law. The second and forth and fifth (Texas, Florida, and Pennsylvania)
do. I suspect, without going to the trouble of totaling things up, that the
60% figure is close to correct.

*If* you want to lump all of the laws together, I suppose you could be
right. I don't, and stand by my WAG.

Jim