Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Winston Winston is offline

Default Automotive battery charging

Wild_Bill wrote:
The soda paste won't do much harm to a side-terminal battery, though.

Drizzling chocolate syrup over the top of a side-terminal
battery won't do it much harm, either.

It has far less possibility of ruining the battery than
does soda paste, yet I don't see a lot of people turning
their battery into a sundae, with or without whipped cream.

Back when engine crankcases were vented (breather caps) into the engine compartment/atmosphere, batteries in cars with
high mileage would generally get covered with an accumulation of crud, so perodic cleaning of the tops of the cases was
generally required since the accumulation could present a conductive path for discharging.

Many folks apply grease or those treated felt washers to the top-post type batteries, but I just prefer to keep them
clean.. an occasional brushing with a terminal cleaner can prevent unexpected problems.

You're right about taking personal protection precautions any time battery maintenance/service is performed.
I think anyone who's done their own car work/service has been surprised at finding holes in their freshly laundered
clothes, which weren't there before.

I always like to get the baking soda before starting, just in case, and an ample supply of fresh water should be a
standard practice.

Yup. Fresh water is highly underrated.

--Winston