Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Shop Photos (was New Photos TM Table Grinding Job)

pyotr filipivich wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" on Thu, 15 Mar 2012
21:11:45 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Jon Anderson wrote:

Couple folks here have seen mine, and it's gotten worse as I try to
truly sort and organize. (ever try to defrag a HD with 1% available free
space?)

A better analogy would be 'The moving hole theory'. ;-)

That is a massive project. Better to get a same size (or larger)
external drive, move as much as you can to it. then defrag the
original disc. Then copy back from the external. I recommend
Robocopy.exe - it is like xcopy only with some more (smarter) options.

Years ago I stoped at a radio station that owed me money. They said
their computer was so slow that it took an hour to boot up and load
thier bookkeeping software. They just shrugged when I asked when was
the last time it was defragged so I asked if I could take a look at it
and found the problem right away. There was only one unused sector left
on the 40 MB drive. I looked at all their software and nothing required
the Windows 3.0, so I deleted it and told them that if they had written
that check, the system wouldn't have been able to boot. They ran that
Compaq portable for three or four more years, before the drive started
to fail, but never ran out of space again.