Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default OT - New thread on Florida shooting

Bill Kniess wrote in
:

Molly Brown wrote in
@er9g2000vbb.googlegroups.co
m:

snip

1. To defend yourself means when you’re not moving or

going
anywhere and someone is coming after you, your loved one

or your
property. 2. Unless you’re a member of SWAT and on duty,

a gun can
only be used as a defense.
3. When you go AFTER someone ( read # 1 above) then you

are no
longer considered to be defending yourself.

but there's no law against following someone,even while armed.
Nor is it any "provocation".

Florida has a marvelous law of “stand your ground” that

is
extremely useful. If people like you don’t stop trying

to subvert
it, we’re all going to lose.

Who are you saying here is the defender?

Considering Zimmerman was on the ground on his back with Trayvon on top of
him,I'd say he was defending himself,lawfully.
They have a witness for that,and the evidence supports it.

Subverting ? Are you saying we were a lost bunch from the
beginning of the country up to the time this law was
passed?

Marvelous law ?

YES!.
it removes the presumption of guilt from the victim,and makes the police
have reasonable evidence that a crime was committed before arresting or
charging a person who had to defend themselves,and it removed the "duty to
retreat" that protects the ATTACKER and not the victim.
"duty to retreat" actually INCREASES the risk to the victim.

I'm an NRA member, but I have to say that
there was
NO reason to have a law like this enacted. (It was
bankrolled by my
NRA, and for the life of me, cannot find out for what
purpose they
push such legislation).

Try doing some reading. Wiki has a nice page on the Stand Your Ground law.

It is plain and simple nuts. Just
about as
bad as Ohio's law permitting concealed carry in bars.
What? Don't the lawmakers know how easy a fight breaks
out in a bar and someone
gets hit with a pool queue stick ora bottle? What's going
to happen
now with concealed guns? People will be carted out in body
bags rather than on ambulance gurneys.

this sounds like that old "Wild West" nonsense again.
except it never happened. states where concealed carry is allowed in
restaurants that serve alcohol do not have these incidents,nor do they
where carry in bars is permitted.

also,one CAN be attacked when leaving a bar or restaurant.

If someone was packing, out and about the
town runing erands and whatnot, and someone
looks at them funny, and they think they are
threatened, they have the right under this law
to defend themselves from this looker,

Nonsense. the standard is REASONABLE belief of imminent danger to your life
or that you might receive great bodily harm.

for a "NRA member",you sure don't don't know the law,or the issues.
but maybe you're not really a "NRA member".
there's certainly been plants that claim to be such,and were just Brady
Campaign folks. you have all the views of the Brady bunch.

Newsflash;the Second Amendment is NOT about hunting and sporting.

even to
the death. Now you think this is a stretch, but
this is real life and anything can and does happen.

Bill Kniess
US Army
NRA

Generally,the places where concealed carry is allowed in bars it's
predicated on the person NOT consuming any alcohol.
Not so for restaurants that serve alcohol.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik