Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default House booster pump as coolant pump??

Maybe you haven't read the reviews.. numerous buyers have returned up to 3
defective units within days or weeks.

One buyer claims it works well as a transfer pump for oil.

Another user explains that there is no design feature for preventing the
(plastic) pump case pressure from reaching 140 psi.. so essentially designed
to fail.

I would think that a centrifugal impeller could deliver more than adequate
flow for (clean) machine coolant.. just my guess though.
For more flow, use a larger impeller (bigger unit) or faster RPM, IMO.

--
WB

"Existential Angst" wrote in message
Such as:

http://www.harborfreight.com/34-hors...ing-68390.html

A 3/4 hp Graymills coolant pump, typical in cnc, is almost $500, and puts
out 30-35 psi.

The HF pump, judging from the total headlift, might be as much as 150 psi
(zero flow), and proly 60-90 psi, thru a cupla loclines. I have a few
machines that I would like to amp up the coolant psi. I would run
separate lines from this pump to the various machines, separate from the
existing centrifugal pumps..

The max flow is 1100 gph, or about 20 gal/min, which is certainly less
than a 3/4 graymills puts out, but enough for a few loclines, I would
think

The HF pump is on sale at $120, so at least psi-wise, would be a good
deal -- IF it can handle soluble oil. I would imagine I'd have to
filter/strain the coolant pretty well, unless the pump mechanism is
forgiving.

Opinions?
--
EA