Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Winston Winston is offline

Default Automotive battery charging

Wild_Bill wrote:
A lot of mysticism/voodoo exists wrt lead/acid battery charging and handling.

Yes.

Aside from manufacturing defects or accidental damage, negligence and abuse are the factors that kill batteries.

Some abuse comes in the form of 'preventive maintenance'.

Occasionally I hear a recommendation to put a slurry of
baking soda and water on top of my car battery to
neutralize the acid that builds up.

That was never particularly a good idea and now it is
a very bad idea because of the way modern batteries are
made. Years ago, batteries actually had a raised rim around
each cap opening that tended to prevent junk from falling
into the cells:
http://acarbattery.com/wp-content/up...teryWater2.jpg

Modern batteries don't have that feature and will funnel
crap into the cells. That soda slurry on the top of the
battery will get flushed into into it and ruin the battery
sooner or later, I guarantee.
http://hostedmedia.reimanpub.com/TFH..._CARBAT_03.JPG

A gentle drizzling of tap water from the garden hose on
top of the Closed battery while scrubbing with a disposable
brush will neutralize the acid quickly and safely.

As always, wear "work clothes" and protective eyewear
when working on car batteries.

--Winston