Posted to alt.home.repair
Attila.Iskander Attila.Iskander is offline

Default OT - New thread on Florida shooting

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Molly Brown wrote:
On Mar 26, 2:36 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
"With a single punch, Trayvon Martin [the deceased] decked the
Neighborhood Watch volunteer who eventually shot and killed the
unarmed 17-year-old, then Trayvon climbed on top of George Zimmerman
[the non-deceased] and slammed his head into the sidewalk, leaving
him bloody and battered, law enforcement authorities have revealed
to the Orlando Sentinel.

"That is the account Zimmerman gave police, and much of it has been
corroborated by witnesses, authorities say. There have been no
reports that a witness saw that initial punch Zimmerman told police
about. "

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/...trayvon-martin...

Now contrast the story from the Orlando Sentinel (above) with one
from the Chicago Tribune (below). The latter seems more interested
in the protests over the shooting.

"Martin was killed one month ago today. That's one month of justice
denied, according to protesters who are expected to amass throughout
the day to continue their demand for Zimmerman's arrest in the
Sanford, Fla. case."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...tin-case-20120...

Once again, our president seems to have spoken before all the facts
are in.

Maybe a beer summit can sort it all out.

1. To defend yourself means when you're not moving or going anywhere
and someone is coming after you, your loved one or your property.
2. Unless you're a member of SWAT and on duty, a gun can only be used
as a defense.
3. When you go AFTER someone ( read # 1 above) then you are no longer
considered to be defending yourself.
Florida has a marvelous law of "stand your ground" that is extremely
useful. If people like you don't stop trying to subvert it, we're all
going to lose.

Like me?

In what way, large or small, did you perceive I'm trying to subvert the
"Stand Your Ground" law? I think you've confused me with Idi Amin or some
other miscreant.

Further, you are completely wrong in your #3 above. The SYG law
specifically permits lethal force to defend yourself, irrespective of
where you are located or your (lawful) reason for being there. Presuming
you have a right to walk down the sidewalk, without regard for your motive
in so doing, you are covered. Specifically, if I follow you, and you don't
like it, you own the problem, not me*.

In the case I just outlined, while my following you may rile your anger,
provocation is not an excuse for you to attack me. And if you DO attack
me, I will blow your ass away.

There are 2 issues here
1) the rules that apply directly to self-defense
2) the rules that apply to SYG (Stand Your Ground)
Because they can overlap, people are confounding the 2..