Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Paste[_2_] David Paste[_2_] is offline

Default Electricity posts & distribution voltages, etc.

On Mar 27, 12:29*am, wrote:

132000 Volt . May surprise a lot of people on here to find that such a
voltage is now carried on single wooden poles.

Thanks. Do you know how much current is carried on these high-voltage
wires?

[snipp]

Other installations such as this one
http://www.westernpower.co.uk/getdoc...-b5bc-5991b6a4...
are to link wind farms etc into the network.

Thanks, I did see some of the wooden twin-pole units around there too.
I presume they use them at places where the direction of the lines
changes, and (in this case) where it meets the M6 and presumably needs
a bit more hight to clear the carriageways.

11000 Volt. * Rough guide used to be 2 wires 11000 Volt, 3 wires 33000
Volt but as your first query shows *its not that straight forward
anymore.

Pardon my ignorance, but wouldn't a 3-phase supply need 4 wires - the
3 phases plus a neutral? Or does it not work like that?