Posted to alt.home.repair
Evan[_3_] Evan[_3_] is offline

Default Bathtub Hidden Stopper Repair

On Mar 25, 11:32*pm, bob haller wrote:
On Mar 25, 11:23*pm, Marilyn & Bob wrote:

On 3/25/2012 5:57 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Mar 24, 12:02 pm, Steve
wrote:
Cast iron tub with hidden stopper down the overflow tube.

The stopper was jammed (probably from lack of use; I mostly take showers).
I tried loosening with penetrating oil (Lime-Away, too) but to no avail and
now the reach rod has broken free of the stopper from pulling too hard. *I
believe the normal thing would be to reach down with a coat hanger wire
formed into a hook but that's not going to be effective with a stuck
stopper. *How can I loosen it so that has a chance of working?

I'm thinking of running HCl down from the overflow to eat up any scale but
the stopper itself is (if I recall) brass so this might make things worse.
The stopper and passage way is going to have to be very loose for it to be
picked up with a hook.

Have you tried pushing the stopper down to free it?

Since it's so stuck that pulling up resulted in a broken linkage,
perhaps you could free it up by pushing it down, then pulling it up.

If that doesn't work, I don't see too many options other than
disassembly. Since you've mentioned that access is not readily
available, you seem to be in a bit of a pickle.

I wish you luck!

There comes a time when every DIY skilled person needs professional
help. *I think that your situation calls for a plumber.
--
Peace,
bobJ

i agree, the entire overflow drain unit is bolted to the bottom and
front of tub where the overflow is.

i had a drain problem here, thats failed a bunch of times over the
years. after tearing down the cieling and wall, i had a plumber do it,
and was glad i did.........

i had him replace the entire line with PVC

Bob. a common problem with people who complain
of "slow tub drains" is a plunger with an improperly
adjusted rod which allows the plunger to partially
restrict the drain even when it should be fully
retracted...

~~ Evan