Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bathtub Hidden Stopper Repair

Cast iron tub with hidden stopper down the overflow tube.

The stopper was jammed (probably from lack of use; I mostly take showers).
I tried loosening with penetrating oil (Lime-Away, too) but to no avail and
now the reach rod has broken free of the stopper from pulling too hard. I
believe the normal thing would be to reach down with a coat hanger wire
formed into a hook but that's not going to be effective with a stuck
stopper. How can I loosen it so that has a chance of working?

I'm thinking of running HCl down from the overflow to eat up any scale but
the stopper itself is (if I recall) brass so this might make things worse.
The stopper and passage way is going to have to be very loose for it to be
picked up with a hook.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 24, 12:02*pm, Steve Kraus
wrote:
Cast iron tub with hidden stopper down the overflow tube.

The stopper was jammed (probably from lack of use; I mostly take showers)..
I tried loosening with penetrating oil (Lime-Away, too) but to no avail and
now the reach rod has broken free of the stopper from pulling too hard. *I
believe the normal thing would be to reach down with a coat hanger wire
formed into a hook but that's not going to be effective with a stuck
stopper. *How can I loosen it so that has a chance of working?

I'm thinking of running HCl down from the overflow to eat up any scale but
the stopper itself is (if I recall) brass so this might make things worse..
The stopper and passage way is going to have to be very loose for it to be
picked up with a hook.

go below disassemble the drain and replace the stopper unit. its part
f the drain unit.

hopefully you have easy access
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 24, 12:02*pm, Steve Kraus
wrote:
Cast iron tub with hidden stopper down the overflow tube.

The stopper was jammed (probably from lack of use; I mostly take showers)..
I tried loosening with penetrating oil (Lime-Away, too) but to no avail and
now the reach rod has broken free of the stopper from pulling too hard. *I
believe the normal thing would be to reach down with a coat hanger wire
formed into a hook but that's not going to be effective with a stuck
stopper. *How can I loosen it so that has a chance of working?

I'm thinking of running HCl down from the overflow to eat up any scale but
the stopper itself is (if I recall) brass so this might make things worse..
The stopper and passage way is going to have to be very loose for it to be
picked up with a hook.

do the job once and do it right, replace the entire assembly which is
part of the overflow drain. you will need access to the tub where the
overflow is and underneath. you will likely find a old rotten drain
line unless its plastic
Posted to alt.home.repair

go below disassemble the drain and replace the stopper unit. its part
f the drain unit.

hopefully you have easy access

Sadly, no. Concrete slab floor and what's more, on the other side of the
this lav is another one, a little larger and the sinks, toilet, and bathtub
are back to back with each other.

Just to be clear, this is not a pop-up stopper. It's a hidden plug that
drops down in the overflow passage way. Even with access I don't know if
there is anything to disassemble from below or behind.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 12:23:22 -0500, Steve Kraus
wrote:

go below disassemble the drain and replace the stopper unit. its part
f the drain unit.

hopefully you have easy access

Sadly, no. Concrete slab floor and what's more, on the other side of the
this lav is another one, a little larger and the sinks, toilet, and bathtub
are back to back with each other.

Concrete slab or not, there has to be some way to get to the drain pipes
under there. It's not like they poured the floor after the tub was
installed. Unfortunately as a last resort, you'll have to remove the
tub. Hopefully you wont have to do that.

Just to be clear, this is not a pop-up stopper. It's a hidden plug that
drops down in the overflow passage way. Even with access I don't know if
there is anything to disassemble from below or behind.

Why not take off the overflow pipes and see if you can get it out from
there. Once it's out, leave it out and get a plain old rubber plug.
Some of those contraptions are more trouble than they are worth.

I'm having a problem understanding what you have in there. See if you
can find a webpage with a drawing of the thing or exploded view. There
is likely one on there. Then post the url. It sure sounds like a popup
stopper to me??????

By the way, they sell a device that works similar to a popup stopper,
except you step on it to close it, and step a second time to open it.
It mounts right into the drain, and dont have all kinds of levers and
rods to get stuck or break. That might work as a replacement, if you're
the kind of guy what dont want a rubber plug. (Myself, I'll stick with
the rubber plugs.... simple, cheap, and easy to use, as long as the kids
or dog dont run off with them).

Posted to alt.home.repair

Concrete slab or not, there has to be some way to get to the drain
pipes under there. It's not like they poured the floor after the tub
was installed. Unfortunately as a last resort, you'll have to remove
the tub. Hopefully you wont have to do that.

No, there is no access. The tub drain goes down into the slab then
sideways to a drum trap adjacent to it (there's an access plug). The tub
is boxed in on three sides by walls and as I've said, the head wall is back
to back with a similarly installed tub in the other lav.

Why not take off the overflow pipes and see if you can get it out from
there.

What pipes? I dont know if the overflow is a pipe or cast into the tub.
Seems like the latter since the plug has to drop down there from the
overflow opening which is where the control trip lever is...so it can't
just any old pipe. It has to have a precise fitting where the plug blocks
the water flow when it's down and unblocks when it's up.

I'm having a problem understanding what you have in there. See if you
can find a webpage with a drawing of the thing or exploded view.
There is likely one on there. Then post the url. It sure sounds like
a popup stopper to me??????

No, it's not a pop up. You do not see anything move other than the trip
lever that you push up or down and that is located at the overflow drain
cover. The drain itself has no moving parts. It's just a little grill
covering the opening.

Thank you for writing but I'm hoping to hear from someone familiar with
this type of drain. As you asked here is a diagram. It's the one on the
right. As you see, there is no visible mechanism other than the trip
lever, which is similar to that of the pop up drain on the left.

http://www.mrdrain.com/images/tubs_04.png
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 3/24/2012 11:02 AM, Steve Kraus wrote:
Cast iron tub with hidden stopper down the overflow tube.

The stopper was jammed (probably from lack of use; I mostly take showers).
I tried loosening with penetrating oil (Lime-Away, too) but to no avail and
now the reach rod has broken free of the stopper from pulling too hard. I
believe the normal thing would be to reach down with a coat hanger wire
formed into a hook but that's not going to be effective with a stuck
stopper. How can I loosen it so that has a chance of working?

I'm thinking of running HCl down from the overflow to eat up any scale but
the stopper itself is (if I recall) brass so this might make things worse.
The stopper and passage way is going to have to be very loose for it to be
picked up with a hook.

Try a sizable dose of crystal Drano or the like then add hot water and
let it work (wear eye protection and gloves, obviously). Let stand at
least 24 hr or longer if can and see if can break it loose then.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Kraus writes:

[...]

Break down your options:

1. You mentioned hooking the stopper and pulling it out.
The fact that you already tried that and broke off the wire
means that you have to hook something pretty strong to the stopper
and try pulling again. I think doing that blind is going to be very
hard. So, remote camera on a flexible hose, some kind of hard steel
hook and strong wire. The remote camera, etc. means call in a
professional.

2. Physical access to the back side of the tub means breaking into
the wall between the 2 tubs. That will give you about 5 inches of
gap between the tubs. Whether that will lead to access and repair
is unknown until you open it up and look.

3. Tub replacement. A sure fix and step 2 may lead up to the third
option.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 3/25/2012 11:37 AM, Dan Espen wrote:
Steve writes:

[...]

If he has make/model should be able to find installation sheet.
Generally, there _is_ a way even if not apparent.

I had one similar that I eventually did manage to get apart but it's
been almost 30 yr and I no longer remember the specifics well enough to
coach from memory. Seems like it was similar to a basin wrench to get
to the seat as best I can recall...

The thing to remember is that it had to go in...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

When I replaced my tub a few years ago I installed one of those fancy
"foot activated" stoppers.

With three females, all with long hair, using that tub ever day, it
was a bad mistake.

With no strainer on top of the drain to catch the hair, it goes down
the drain and gets caught on the cross bars just below the foot
activated top. Every few month I had to disassemble to the top of the
drain to get to the clump of hair.

After doing that something like 4 times in the first year, I took the
foot activated stopper out and installed a standard pop-up.

Now the ladies can just remove the hair from the top the strainer when
they are done showering.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 24, 12:02*pm, Steve Kraus
wrote:
Cast iron tub with hidden stopper down the overflow tube.

The stopper was jammed (probably from lack of use; I mostly take showers)..
I tried loosening with penetrating oil (Lime-Away, too) but to no avail and
now the reach rod has broken free of the stopper from pulling too hard. *I
believe the normal thing would be to reach down with a coat hanger wire
formed into a hook but that's not going to be effective with a stuck
stopper. *How can I loosen it so that has a chance of working?

I'm thinking of running HCl down from the overflow to eat up any scale but
the stopper itself is (if I recall) brass so this might make things worse..
The stopper and passage way is going to have to be very loose for it to be
picked up with a hook.

Have you tried pushing the stopper down to free it?

Since it's so stuck that pulling up resulted in a broken linkage,
perhaps you could free it up by pushing it down, then pulling it up.

If that doesn't work, I don't see too many options other than
disassembly. Since you've mentioned that access is not readily
available, you seem to be in a bit of a pickle.

I wish you luck!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/25/2012 5:57 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Mar 24, 12:02 pm, Steve
wrote:
[...]

There comes a time when every DIY skilled person needs professional
help. I think that your situation calls for a plumber.
--
Peace,
bobJ
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

i agree, the entire overflow drain unit is bolted to the bottom and
front of tub where the overflow is.

i had a drain problem here, thats failed a bunch of times over the
years. after tearing down the cieling and wall, i had a plumber do it,
and was glad i did.........

i had him replace the entire line with PVC
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Ahh...the joys of access panels!

A few years ago I replaced my entire drain assembly from the access
panel in the hallway.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Yesterday I went to work on the one that is stuck up but not broken. I
tried NaOH drain cleaner, strong HCl, ice water on the theory that brass
(the plug) has a greater coefficient of expansion than iron (the pipe), and
boiling water on theory that I might as well try everything. I was using a
piece of garden hose with a funnel down the overflow to apply these liquids
and that's also a good way to push on the plug. No significant help.

But when I gave up and decided to close it up I found that the trip lever
was now able to move the plug up and down. Not easily and I could not pull
the plug all the way up and out but if it's working where it needs to, case
closed.

So far similar techniques have not budged the other one. Someone asked if
I could make it go down since the connection broke trying to pull it up.
No, originally I was trying to push it down as well as up and could not get
it to do either. One thing I fear right now is that I end up dropping it
into the closed position. As things stand now I still have a usable shower
and with a little effort to close the drain with something, even a bathtub.
If I drop it closed I'm screwed. There's always the danger if the thing
drops only because I push hard on it that snagging it with a coat hanger
wire might not be able to urge it back up to open the drain. So I must
proceed thoughtfully.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 25, 11:22*am, Steve Kraus
wrote:
[...]

It is unfortunate you do not have access, but it sounds
a lot like you have made the problem worse by trying
to force something you couldn't see and therefore be
able to determine what to use to get it unstuck properly
and now the rod which operates the plunger has broken...

The overflow (the faceplate with the lever for the drain
on it which also allows excess water to exit) is attached
to the overflow tube... There is a fitting (which as you
noted is a precisely fitted one as it is made of brass)
where the waste arm (which is how the drain lets water
out of the tub) connects to the overflow tube and down
to the rest of your home's drainage piping after going
through a trap... The plunger which holds the water
in the tub is a brass tube with thick walls which rides
up and down in the fitting mentioned above...

For the connector rod to have broken you either pulled
way too hard or it was badly corroded and was going
snap soon anyway even if you had not disturbed it...

How long has it been since these tub drain stoppers
have been used ? Brass does eventually tarnish...

Your attempts at putting chemicals down the overflow
haven't been successful thus far because very little
of what you are adding is staying around long enough
to do anything other than add chemicals to your local
waste water stream that require treatment...

Since you say you have a drum trap (assuming you
know this for certain and that it isn't just a clean-out
access point for the under slab drain line) you need
to open up this trap and drain it of water... You need
to plug the lower pipe opening in it to block the drain
line from the tub... Then add whatever chemicals you
think will free up the seized plunger and add water
until you have a couple of inches standing in the tub
(this is so that the entire fitting where the plunger
lives gets filled) and let the chemicals soak to see if
you can free the plunger...

If you can't free it up you are looking at having to
have a plumber come in and break up one of the
bathrooms to remove one of the tubs to get access
to the plumbing -- such a plumber would be able
to fix both drains and you should replace basically
everything when you have it opened up since
the costs involved with such an invasive procedure
would dictate you replace everything that can be
reached while the floor/wall is open...

Hopefully you can resolve the matter on your own...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Bob. a common problem with people who complain
of "slow tub drains" is a plunger with an improperly
adjusted rod which allows the plunger to partially
restrict the drain even when it should be fully
retracted...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 26, 11:12*pm, Steve Kraus
wrote:
[...]

Foolishness, the overflow tube, waste arm, fitting and plunger
are all made of brass if they are metal -- any ductile or cast iron
drain piping wouldn't begin until the connection out of the fitting
which you are trying to blindly detarnish/degunkify/descale...

~~ Evan

Bathtub Stopper--Slow Leak Ed Sievers Home Repair 1 February 1st 10 03:35 AM
bathtub repair MoopMeep Home Repair 2 August 18th 09 08:12 PM
bathtub drain stopper won't stay up Brandon McCombs Home Repair 1 May 30th 09 01:40 PM
Foot-activated bathtub stopper? ? ? Ray Home Repair 3 October 29th 08 05:43 AM
Removing Bathtub Stopper Kent_Diego Home Repair 4 June 26th 08 04:27 PM