Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] grmiller@rogers.com is offline

Default Shop heating

On Mon, 26 Mar 2012 09:39:18 -0400, "Phil Kangas"
wrote:

"John B." wrote in
message
.. .
On Sun, 25 Mar 2012 10:36:30 -0400, "Phil
Kangas"
wrote:

"John B." wrote in
message
On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 08:08:19 -0500, Karl
Townsend
wrote:

I picked up one of these a year or so
ago...for
$25

http://www.elitedeals.com/npl-1400.html

Simply stack your chimey to the outside and
let
it use internal air to
supply it. Few shops are tight enough to
prevent enough O2 in to keep it
burning well.

Ive been burning cut wood scraps from an old
building that I tore
down..well..cut down with a chain saw

good deal. you may not need it in your mild
climate, but adding a heat
exchanger wood pun give you 50% more heat. A
word of warning, the
more heat exchanger you have the dryer your
wood
has to be. You need
to run the fire hotter too. I know of a guy
that
puts a pint of used
motor oil in a quart oil bottle and toss it in
the fire, burns REAL
hot.

Karl

The old fashioned way was to run the stove
pipe
across the room before
you connect up to the chimney. Put a bit of a
slope on it (low end -
stove).
--
Cheers,

John B.

So the liquid creosote will run back into the
stove? ;)}
This trick works with coal, not wood.

I don't know why but it was very much "Standard
Operating Procedure"
when I was a young fellow, and wood stoves were
common in those days.
--
Cheers,

John B.

I've just recently retired from the local
volunteer fire dept., the
last seven as chief, and we ran into many of these
long horizontal
runs of pipe and every single one of them were
trouble! The
most horrible creosote makers on earth! One place
even had
coffee cans placed under each joint to catch the
liquid! SCARY!!
Don't do this..... ;)}
phil k.

I grew up with the horizontal stove pipe system across the ceiling of
themain living area of the house. The stove itself was a cast iron
"box stove" about 24" long x 18" wide x 18" tall on 6" leggs. We never
had problems with build up in the 25+ feet of stove pipe
( 5 up, 12 across, 8 up through a second floor bedroom to connect
with the chimney flue); of course, the pipes got taked down every
month and any residue knocked free and dumped out before they were put
back up, and, we burned only hard maple that had been cut at least
twelve months before. Another factor was the fact that both adults had
several years living with wood heat.