Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Source of door bottom extension lumber?

On Mar 26, 4:54*pm, dpb wrote:
On 3/26/2012 2:19 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote: On Mar 25, 11:01 am, *wrote:
On 3/25/2012 9:14 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Drill a couple of deep countersinks in the bottom for the screws, glue
and screw it in place. Buy a six-pack or case of beer for the guy that
made it for you.

I use (and recommend using) dowels instead of screws for this purpose.

Or biscuits, which give you a little more leeway as far as lining the
parts up.

Possible and workable, but for this specific purpose (which I have done
quite a few times to salvage/modify doors on farm outbuildings in
particular(*)) I drill/insert the dowels after gluing on the new piece;
I don't try to use them to line up the scab w/ the door. *For that I use
blocking to clamp against on the surface.

I now have a wide glue-joint shaper cutter; I'm thinking the next time
it comes up I'll run it (if I can figure out a way to get the door past
the shaper spindle, that is ).

That's easy.

Cut a glue joint in the scab.

Then cut off a workable piece from the door and cut glue joints in
that, both edges, since you'll have to glue it back onto the door.

Then cut off another workable piece from the remaining part door and
cut glue joints in that, both edges, since you'll have to glue it back
onto the door.

Then cut off another workable piece from the remaining part door and
cut glue joints in that, both edges, since you'll have to glue it back
onto the door.

Keep cutting off workable pieces and cutting glue joints until you've
put the whole door back together.

QED ;-)

(*) I "grew" a 32x80 to 36x80 for the old shop salvaging an old door
from the old house that lost its job in a remodel folks did some 50
years ago and had been sitting in a corner in the barn loft ever since...