Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Bathtub Hidden Stopper Repair

On 3/25/2012 11:37 AM, Dan Espen wrote:
Steve writes:

Concrete slab or not, there has to be some way to get to the drain
pipes under there. It's not like they poured the floor after the tub
was installed. Unfortunately as a last resort, you'll have to remove
the tub. Hopefully you wont have to do that.

No, there is no access. The tub drain goes down into the slab then
sideways to a drum trap adjacent to it (there's an access plug). The tub
is boxed in on three sides by walls and as I've said, the head wall is back
to back with a similarly installed tub in the other lav.

Why not take off the overflow pipes and see if you can get it out from
there.

What pipes? I dont know if the overflow is a pipe or cast into the tub.
Seems like the latter since the plug has to drop down there from the
overflow opening which is where the control trip lever is...so it can't
just any old pipe. It has to have a precise fitting where the plug blocks
the water flow when it's down and unblocks when it's up.

I'm having a problem understanding what you have in there. See if you
can find a webpage with a drawing of the thing or exploded view.
There is likely one on there. Then post the url. It sure sounds like
a popup stopper to me??????

No, it's not a pop up. You do not see anything move other than the trip
lever that you push up or down and that is located at the overflow drain
cover. The drain itself has no moving parts. It's just a little grill
covering the opening.

Thank you for writing but I'm hoping to hear from someone familiar with
this type of drain. As you asked here is a diagram. It's the one on the
right. As you see, there is no visible mechanism other than the trip
lever, which is similar to that of the pop up drain on the left.

http://www.mrdrain.com/images/tubs_04.png

Break down your options:

1. You mentioned hooking the stopper and pulling it out.
The fact that you already tried that and broke off the wire
means that you have to hook something pretty strong to the stopper
and try pulling again. I think doing that blind is going to be very
hard. So, remote camera on a flexible hose, some kind of hard steel
hook and strong wire. The remote camera, etc. means call in a
professional.

2. Physical access to the back side of the tub means breaking into
the wall between the 2 tubs. That will give you about 5 inches of
gap between the tubs. Whether that will lead to access and repair
is unknown until you open it up and look.

3. Tub replacement. A sure fix and step 2 may lead up to the third
option.

If he has make/model should be able to find installation sheet.
Generally, there _is_ a way even if not apparent.

I had one similar that I eventually did manage to get apart but it's
been almost 30 yr and I no longer remember the specifics well enough to
coach from memory. Seems like it was similar to a basin wrench to get
to the seat as best I can recall...

The thing to remember is that it had to go in...