Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Bathtub Hidden Stopper Repair

On 3/24/2012 11:02 AM, Steve Kraus wrote:
Cast iron tub with hidden stopper down the overflow tube.

The stopper was jammed (probably from lack of use; I mostly take showers).
I tried loosening with penetrating oil (Lime-Away, too) but to no avail and
now the reach rod has broken free of the stopper from pulling too hard. I
believe the normal thing would be to reach down with a coat hanger wire
formed into a hook but that's not going to be effective with a stuck
stopper. How can I loosen it so that has a chance of working?

I'm thinking of running HCl down from the overflow to eat up any scale but
the stopper itself is (if I recall) brass so this might make things worse.
The stopper and passage way is going to have to be very loose for it to be
picked up with a hook.

Try a sizable dose of crystal Drano or the like then add hot water and
let it work (wear eye protection and gloves, obviously). Let stand at
least 24 hr or longer if can and see if can break it loose then.