Posted to rec.woodworking
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default The new Delta?

On Sun, 25 Mar 2012 09:59:37 -0500, Swingman wrote:

The point, Ed, is that China can manufacture "cheaply" because, using
cheap unskilled labor (and given the opportunity to so without
supervision), all regard for quality goes out the window.

The quality is better than you give credit for in many of the
companies. You left out environmental issues and permits, waste
management and safety.

This is a generalization to some extenet, sure ... but one that you can
take to the bank as far as statistical, business bottom line odds go.

A good case in point, proffered, once again, to take it out of the realm
of just my "opinion":

http://finance.fortune.cnn.com/2011/...ries-in-china/

Once again, some good products come out of China (I appreciate my iPad),
but arguably ONLY because of a rigid supervision program. It is NOT the
Chinese worker, or their masters, who are making that happen because of
an inherent quest for "quality". More companies, and now consumers, are
realizing that it takes more effort then its worth simply because of the
maxim regarding supervision above.

Hey, that is pretty much what I've been saying. Yes, they make crap,
but they can make good. If the buyers on this end specify crap, that
is what they get.

In short, increasingly when left to it own devices, China produces
mostly _cheap_ crap ... end of story.

The story continues . . . and will for decades