Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Source of door bottom extension lumber?

On 3/25/2012 7:05 AM, wrote:
I have been tasked with extending an entry door that has been cut too
high. I need to add approx 2" to the bottom. The door is a true 1
3/4" thickness and I plan on screwing/glueing the extension prior to
filling, sanding and finishing.

The problem I'm finding is locating a material source that is 1 3/4"
thick that I can use for the extension.

I'm hoping that others may have encountered this same issue before and
recommend what I could use for material? Obviously all the lumber
I've found is 1 1/2" thick.

Recommendations please? Thanks

A) Go to a hardwood dealer and buy 8/4 or 10/4 stock

B) Laminate two (or more) pieces of thinner material (resorcinol or an
epoxy would be good for the purpose; maybe even an application for the
awful-otherwise "gorilla" polyurethane glue.

What is the door made of? I'd try to match it, first. If it's painted,
not so much an issue but still will want something that doesn't have
grossly differing characteristics (like pine tacked onto an oak door,
for example).