Posted to rec.woodworking
RonB[_2_] RonB[_2_] is offline

Default The new Delta?

On Mar 24, 9:01*am, Max wrote:
On 3/24/2012 6:26 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 15:01:10 -0400, "Lee Michaels"
leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net *wrote:

"RonB" *wrote

At the end of the day, folks who try to rank Grizzly in a category
with Harbor Freight are uninformed. *No comparison. *And no, I am not
a Grizzly-only shop. *My cabinet saw and planer are sitting among
Powermatic, Jet, Delta and other machine tools. *The Grizzly machines
are in the same class as all of them.

So There! * *:O)

You tell'em Ron!

All this talk about Grizzly. *I guess I will have to chime in. *I live 90
minutes away from the Grizzly headquarters and know a bunch of people in
that area. *They were the ones who told me about them. *Before I ever got a
catalog or bought anything from them, I saw the green tools in many shops.
And there were working shops, building houses, furniture, musical
instruments, etc. *The number one message I got from all of them was "bang
for the buck". *The tools were a good value. *And far less expensive than
many other, more prestigious names.

I set up a shop with Grizzly tools over 25 years ago. *Good price on
everything. *I did have to do some work to align the table saw. *But the
walked me through it on the phone and sent me complete instructions. Every
thing else was fine out of the box. *Since that time I have bought many more
of the tools. Some for me and many for other people. *Both for woodworking
and metalworking. I bought several of their drill presses.

Having had this experience, I will say this about Grizzly.

1. *Yes, at one time there was some tweaking required. *Over the years,
their quality has greatly improved. *But to this day, I find some tweaking
necessary (or desirable) on almost anything.

2. *One thing that greatly impresses me about Grizzly is that they are
incredibly responsive to their customers. *I remember talking to some of the
guys who bought their early table saws and how they told the folks at
Grizzly what they wanted to see on the saw. *Grizzly went to work and
designed new saws. *Something they do to this day. *If they get enough
requests for a certain size and cost of a tool, they will manufacture it.
How many companies can you name that will do that for you?

3. *They have an incredible number of models of many of their tools. *Many
of their tools are designed for commercial use. *That means if you are a
hobbyist, you can buy a serious machine at a reasonable cost. *If you are a
businessman, you can buy something that will do the job without mortgaging
the tools. *And it gives you a Choice!! *Even if I can't afford it, I like
the idea of actually having a choice of the tool I want. *Many suppliers
have one or two models. * Grizzly has many models of many tools.

4. *One of the old timer tricks that the guys in those shops taught me was
to first figure out what you wanted. *Then figure out what you could afford.
Then buy the next one up the list from there. *By going to a tool just a
little better, bigger, etc than what you figure you needed, you would end up
getting something that will take care of you well into the future.

5. *I know I mentioned this before, but there are some serious bargains in
the scratch and dent department. *I bought several tools from there are good
prices.

I have not bought any tools from them for awhile. *And mostly I have helped
other people buy tools form them recently. *I am impressed that they are
constantly increasing the number and variety of tools. *They may not have
the prestige and status of other tool brands. *But they offer a good
selection, excellent support, good value, a massive website and ugly green
paint too. *Again, I learned bout Grizzly from people who made their living
from these tools. *I can't think of a better referral than that.

Your and RonB's posts today belong in the Wreck FAQ. Excellent, guys!
Well done.

P.S: Griz Green is Gorgeous compared to Ooogly Gray pieces of metal
which belong on some damned Naval ship. *Ptui!

I see the difference between Grizzly and the better known brands as
being similar to, say a Ford Fusion and a Lincoln MKZ. *They both have
essentially the same body, power train, etc. but the MKZ is a bit more
"finessed". *I like the Ford Fusion but I bought an MKZ. *;-)

Max *(Candy Apple Red)

Well Said! And I agree that our Grizzly products do possess that
extra bit of finesse.

(Spoken by an ornery old fart with latent troll tendencies. :0) )