Posted to rec.woodworking
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default The new Delta?

On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 08:42:13 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 3/23/2012 10:44 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

ISO does not assure high quality. It assures consistency. If you
make a high quality product, the next one will be the same as the
last. If you make a crappy product, the next one will be the same as
the last.

ISO certification means you have policies and procedures to cover a
series of situations. Inspections certify that you follow them.

It is painfully apparent that many product spec's, including ISO, have
never been translated into Mandarin, or any of the myriad of other
languages spoken in China/Pacific rim.

The real problem is not the translation, but the specification
writers. If you specify cheap material made into a cheap assembly,
you get a crap product. It is often the American engineers and bean
counters writing those specs.

I've found some very high quality products from China. I've also
found some sleazy stuff being imported by US companies.

I've also been buying tooling from China. The quality is equal or
better, half the price and a third the delivery time. Our customers
won't pay the price for US made tooling so we either walk away from
the business and lay people off, or buy tooling from China and employ
people.