Micheal R. Frichette

Default sliding dovetails

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 00:12:29 GMT, Micheal R. Frichette
wrote:

Okay I am getting ready to make some sliding dovetails, or at least an
attempt at them. ( I am destructing a secretary desk modified for my
use as a humidor, and it calls for sliding dovetails.] Has anyone had
the pleasure of doing a sliding dovetail that is about 24 inches long?
Any suggestions on getting this done properly would be great. I do
have a Bench Dog 150 router table but am not sure that I could keep
the piece (shelf) steady enough to make a good clean route. The shelf
is 3/4 inch stock by about 36 long, by 24 inch wide, glued up of black
walnut. Is there a simple jig that can be made, or is it one
necessary?

Then again maybe I am not ready for this joint but just getting very
prepared.

Thanks for your assistance.

Mikie :-)

Hey fellow WW thanks for the advice and encouragement. I have cut the
slots and have done a couple of test cuts for the dovetails to see how
they fit. My first set up was great and then I thought I could tweak
it just a littlebit, ugh!! ended up back at the first set up.
Hopefully I can get the shelves cut to size and the slides router on.

Again thanks.

Mikie :-)