Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default The new Delta?

On 3/23/12 11:07 AM, Steve Turner wrote:
On 3/23/2012 7:46 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 05:57:42 -0400, Ed wrote:

On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 20:07:39 -0700, Doug Winterburn
wrote:

Not sure where the "tweaking" evaluation comes from, but the Griz
equipment I have required none - G0555 bandsaw, GO505 12.5" planer and
GO452 6" jointer. I did have to "tweak" a little when I installed the
riser kit on the bandsaw, but only about an hour or two including the
install.

It is certainly no more "tweaking" and possibly less than some of the
other equipment I have.

It comes from reading this group for a number of years. I see more
people having to do little things on Grizzly more often than other
brands. Not that the others are perfect.

That's because they read all the tips about Griz here and all want to
make the saw even better. If tips abounded for the Unisaw, these
folks would tweak those to death, too. My Grizzes (bandsaw, planer,
DC, trim router) needed no extra tweaking, though I did install link
belts on the bandsaw about 6 mos later, and it's smoother now.

What I do see is that all machines need about the same amount of
tweaking, no matter what their original cost. The pricier ones may
have been through a couple extra use tests, so the small amount of
deburring which happens during setup has already been performed, so it
feels smoother to the new owner the first time it's used.

Not that any of my machines (Grizzlies included) have needed any
significant amount of "tweaking", but I'm a tweaker by nature (blush),
so if it ain't perfect I wanna fix it, and my Unisaw and Minimax bandsaw
have received just as much "tweaking" as any of my Grizzly machines.

We are talking thousandths of an inch for most of these tweaking
adjustments.
I wonder if even those $15,000+ industrial sliding tables saws don't
need tweaked to perfection after getting jittered around in the back of
a truck for a thousand miles.

Think about the road (&boat) trip taken by most of the woodworking saws
we're talking about in this thread. They may be set-up perfectly at the
factory, but by the time they take all the boat and truck trips and are
loaded and unloaded on and off docks and trucks and forklifts and
pallets and pick-up trucks and finally (probably the most culpable stage
in getting to your shop) getting taken off the truck in your driveway
and making it into its final resting spot, by whatever means
necessary..... I'd be very surprised if any saw didn't get whacked out
of adjustment by at least several thousandths of an inch.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--