Posted to alt.home.repair
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default Do thermal fuses fail from old age?

On Thursday, March 22, 2012 12:03:41 AM UTC-4, jeff_wisnia wrote:
Over the years I've had a few thermal fuses in houshold appliances go
open for no apparent reason. When I've replaced them with ones with the
same temperature rating they stayed working fine for years more.

A couple of days ago our three year old Bunn coffee maker quit, because
a 141 degree celcius overtemperature thermal fuse on the water tank
opened. It might possibly have happened because the water tank
thermostat stuck closed, but after I repaired it the thermostat cycled
just as it should.

I was suprised to find that there were TWO identical thermal fuses
connected in series located right next to each other, the bodies were
actually touching. That seemed like a belt and suspenders approach,
unless there's a significant likelihood that a thermal fuse won't open
when it should?

Comments?

Thanks guys,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Two fuses in series is pretty common. Always see this in microwave ovens and my wifes vacuum cleaner motor had two. Not sure if its belt and suspenders or just making it more likely to fail.

Jimmie