Bob S.

Default Cabinet doors online

MN Guy,

If you're thinking you need a router to make cabinet doors - you're
mistaken. I just made up 4 door panels (14" x 36") each with 3 panel
inserts to be used to house my new D4 and I've made raised panel cabinet
doors on several occasions - all made on the tablesaw and no router.

Having a stacked dado set is nice to have to make the grooves the panels set
in but if you don't have one, it's still easy enough to do and involves
making one more pass over the blade to get the exact width needed to house
the panel. It is not rocket science and you can make some beautiful raised
panel doors all on a tablesaw.

Now to give you something to think about when buying those pre-made cabinet
doors. I went thru this exercise last year with my sister-in--law when she
was doing a kitchen remodel on a limited budget. She needed 40 new cabinet
doors and drawers. I priced them out at the borgs. These were for paint
grade, unfinished, flat panel and did not include any hardware at all. The
total came to $2,000, plus another approx $150 for the paint supplies and
the hardware (Euro hinges, door pulls) that would be needed.

I then priced out the rough sawn lumber (all 6-8% kiln dried ash and
poplar), plus the above paint supplies and hardware and we made them for
$550. Considering the cost differential, you can buy a real nice router and
table combo for that kind of change don'tcha think....?

Bob S.

"MN Guy" wrote in message
om...
Okay - so I've got my new General 650, but have no money left over for
the router and table I want. I've been searching through google
trying to find online cabinet door vendors.

Any recommendations or sites to stay clear of? Any vendors that may
not be online but do nice work at reasonable prices?