Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Shop heating

"Steve B" wrote in message
I know I'm a little late ........ for this year, but .........

I really have a good supply of juniper wood. Burns really hot. I
want to set up a heat stove or two in my shop for next winter. How
many here use wood heat for shop use?

I got out the Coleman Buddy stove the other day, and fired it up.
Really warmed the place up, but I started feeling weird. I don't
have a digital CO monitor, so don't know how much CO it was giving
off. I still really don't want to spend a lot of $$$ on propane
when I have free wood.

I would like to make a system that pulls outside air for combustion,
and just heats the room without using room air to run the stove.

Steve

My stove is in the basement and pulls in air through existing gaps
under doors etc. The cold air runs across the floor to the stove. I
wear boots and don't notice it. Very simple and effective.

I sealed the upper doors and windows so the warmed air can't escape,
like a hot air balloon that's open at the bottom. It doesn't matter
that air can leak into the basement. There is still some air exchange,
cooking smells go away in a few hours.

The indoor and outdoor humidity and dew point give a rough indication
of air exchanges. I tightened the house until winter humidity rose
from less than 20% to nearer 50%.

jsw